Saturday, October 8, 2011

Painting the Maiden Ship Pt. 3 - Decals

Decals:
After doing a little research on decals, I settled for a local shop - Budget Sign and Printing in St. Paul. The set me up with a vinyl that they said they've used in the past for bike decals, a white background digital printed deal.
 I went in with the order and had 3 sheets printed for within 15 min. for only $25. I also looked at other options for the future, die cut vinyl, etc. but settled on this option and cutting them myself for now.


CUTTING
the decals was easy enough, i just set up with an exacto knife and cut around the bleed outline i left on the image so it would blend w/o a white outline.
 I cut each into a smaller rectangle to make the precision cutting easier, then followed the outlines, only cutting through the vinyl and leaving the backing.

After that was finished, I put a thin piece of masking tape over the lettering to hold them all in place.
 Next, peeling the backing away, I carefully set one side in place and ran my fingers down the sticker until it was evenly applied, then peeled away the excess and the masking tape, leaving a beautifully placed, even, and airtight decal sticker. So far its looking great.

Final Clear Coating TBC...

No comments:

Post a Comment