Friday, November 25, 2011

Painting the Maiden Ship Pt. 6 - the Maiden Voyage gets its first ride!

The Maiden Voyage has departed on its first ride...

"Like butter melting on a warm piece of toast, I set about the first ride on my first hand built frame. Finally, I thought, a frame that actually fits me."


I was nervous as I kicked up my leg and mounted the seat for the first time. All of the necessities were there. Wheels, drive train, steering, brake, seat. All the components tightened down, but creaking like they do when not yet fully adjusted. 
   The first few rotations of the pedals made me feel more confident, and I checked my position from the bars to seat, seat to pedals. I let my mind fully take in the experience. Then, I felt it. Like butter melting on a warm piece of toast, I set about the first ride on my first hand built frame. Finally, I thought, this is it. I'm riding a frame that actually fits me.

 the lesson:
Months of hard work, money, time, and skill can pay off.

  Here's a quick timeline 
August - Built Frame at UBI, September - medical leave,  
October - Painted and Decal'd the Maiden Voyage,  
November - Pieced together steering, brakes, and drive train.

As you can see, it is currently set up as a Single Speed Track-Style bike for fast city riding. Its fast. A versatile frame, if you will.

   I decided to slowly piece it together, partially from laying low and recovering from surgery, which also meant no work, no income. Chris from UBI hooked me up with a sweet Campy seat post, and I bought an adjustable stem at UBI for touring. The wheels I found in an alley near the Seward Co-op. The fork, headset, and front brake were bought used from the Hub Bike Co-op. The handlebars and brake lever were from Alex's old bike. The Seat, Crank, BB, Pedals, Chain, Seat, Rear brakes all came from an old parts bin that Beard at the Hub had put together for donating. Mad thanks to Beard & the HUB!

When I get back to the collective bike shop at the farm in Florida, hopefully by early December, I'll have more tools, parts, and time to gear up. yay!

AND; As I deck the Maiden Voyage out with sweet touring gear, I'll be sure to post updates!!
Thanks for following! Oh, and I think I'll be welding my own front rack so be sure to check back...

Parts list: Splined BB, Generic Cranks, Z Chain, Generic J Brakes, Aluminum Handlebars, Campagnolo Seat Post, Cane Creek Headset; Adjustable Stem, basically it's all pretty generic for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment