Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Painting the Maiden Ship Pt. 5 - Finished It!

The MAIDEN VOYAGE is ready!

   Well, for now that is.

   I'm not super-stoked on the paint job, and not sure of how long it will hold up, but, I'll find out, and keep posting. I'm sure once I have more experience, I'll go back and repaint it better. But for now, It's perfect.

   I took it into the Creative Ironworks metal shop in SE Minneapolis, a big shop that is facilitated by Chris Dunn. It is a huge well ventilated room with paint hooks hanging from the rafters.

   First, I set out my my test tube, lightly buffed half of it, and applied the final coat of paint to see how it would set. It set perfectly, smooth and glossy. So,time to move on...
   

   After lightly buffing most of the bike with a fine sandpaper, the final coat was reapplied. Most of it came out okay, but there were still some spots that still looked like reptile skin. I buffed them a little more after they dried a little and repplied, but it didn't change the fact that it just orange peeled again as soon as I reapplied the paint.

   I really have no idea why it kept doing shrinking, but I pushed through it anyways.

   At some point I decided that it was more important to finish the paint job, perfect or not, so I could assemble and ride it as soon as possible . I mean, I made it, I should be riding it, right? So here it is, ready to assemble, then, RIDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment